There are two major rating systems used to establish the market value for a classic car. These rating systems not only affect the price of the car, but also estimate the amount of work and expense required to restore it. Rating systems consider the interior, exterior, rust and mechanics of the car, authenticity of the car. Desirability and rarity will not be a factor in the car’s condition but will establish the value of a car.
Whether you’re buying or selling a classic car, you will want to determine its fair market value. The six categories below is a good indicator of the true condition of a classic car.
- EXCELLENT: Restored to current maximum professional standards of quality in every area, or perfect original with components operating and appearing as new. a 95-plus point show car that is not driven.
- FINE: Well-restored or a combination of superior restoration and excellent original. Also, an extremely well-maintained original showing very minimal wear.
- VERY GOOD: Completely operable original or "older restoration" showing wear. Also, a good amateur restoration, all presentable and serviceable inside and out. Plus, combinations of well-done restoration and good operable components or a partially restored car with all parts necessary to complete and / or valuable NOS parts.
- GOOD: A drivable vehicle needing no or only minor work to be functional. Also, a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. All components may need restoration to be "excellent," but the car is mostly useable "as is."
- RESTORABLE: Needs complete restoration of body, chassis and interior. May or may not be running, but isn't weathered, wrecked or stripped to the point of being useful only for parts
- PARTS CAR: May or may not be running, but is weathered, wrecked and or stripped to the point of being useful primarily for parts.
Another system that you may here about is the 100 point system. As a comparison the points below reference the 1-6 system above
- EXCELLENT: 90+ point car
- FINE: 80-89 point car
- VERY GOOD: 70-79 point car
- GOOD: 60-69 point car
- RESTORABLE: 40 - 59 point car
- PARTS CAR: 40 point car